There is a lot written about William Campbell so I will just point to references for the most part. Needless to say, I don’t connect to William but many do and there seems to be some good information about William and the Demarest family available on-line.
William Campbell m. Elizabeth Demarest of Schraalenburgh in July 1736. He was born July 20, 1718 in Ulster, Ireland, and died October 09, 1793 in Schraalenburg, Bergenfield, NJ. Elizabeth was the daughter of David Demarest and Matic DeBaun. The will of William Campbell is transcribed in the NJ Colonial Records:
- 1787, Jan 20. Campbell, William, near the old Bridge, Hackensack, Bergen Co; will of. Wife, Elizabeth, management of whole estate during her life. Son, David, £10 pounds, for his birthright. Sons Thomas, Christopher, James, Samuel, and Jacob, each £5 and son John £10. After death of wife estate to be sold and proceeds equally divided amongst children, i.e., sons above-named, and daughters, Jenny Demarest, Nancy Westervelt and Elizabeth Westervelt. Executors – wife, Elizabeth, and son, David. Witnesses – Samuel Wood, Catherine Campbell and David Archibald. Prove October 12, 1793
- 1793 Oct 17. Inventory £329.12.; Made by Issac Kipp and Benj. Blacklidge.
- Link to Source: http://books.google.com/books?id=DLuVfPFPVOIC&pg=PA66&dq=william+campbell+demarest+bergen+co&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cR3eUOX6J8iIiALFmoH4DQ&ved=0CFwQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=william%20campbell%20demarest%20bergen%20co&f=false
For more information:
- The Campbell house still stands, although it has been moved. You can read more history here: http://www.bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/cchousehistory.html
- Information on the descendants of Jacob Campbell can be found here: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/h/a/Cheryl-A-Chandler/GENE3-0001.html
- “The Campbell family: some of the descendants of William Campbell of Bergen County, 1718 to 1969” by Harlan Rogers Campbell, 1969. This is not a free book on google but it is available at Ancestry.com to read. It has most of the descendants listed.